A whirlwind of events took place during the last few weeks, and our commercial and marketing teams had a terrific time hosting a series of hands-on training sessions at Solar Power International (SPI) in Las Vegas and throughout Hawaii. Solar dealers and installers gathered to learn about the new Conext XW+ hybrid inverter/charger; the intricacies of designing, installing, and commissioning advanced off-grid and grid-interactive systems; AC and DC coupled systems, along with large clustered systems up to 102 kW and micro-grids; and EV chargers!
Training Session #1: SPI, Las Vegas
This was our first training session held at SPI, where we gave attendees a first look at the new Conext XW+, one day before the official launch! Training was led by Sandra Herrera, Sales Application Engineer. We had a mix of beginners and advanced attendees at our half day session, and Sandra did a great job of finding a balance between the two extremes.
The introduction to the XW+ included a variety of topics:
- an overview of system operation modes
- system components (such as Combox Monitoring and Control, Battery Monitor)
- typical system schematic
- inverter functional states
- external features
- AC connections
- connection kit components to make a 2 or 3 XW+ system
- installation and various types of wiring
Sandra then dived into more advanced topics that covered:
- AC coupling for grid tie PV systems
- stacking single phase and three systems and community electrification
- system design for off-grid and grid tie with battery backup
- retrofitting the XW+ with any existing system
- lithium ion batteries v.s. lead acid
- string sizing solar charge controllers (MPPT 80 600 and MPPT 60 150)
- key customer monitoring needs and an overview of the Conext ComBox, our communications, monitoring, and control solution
If this is the first time that you’ve heard about this training session at SPI, be sure to stay connected with us for more training announcements in 2015! Based on the positive feedback that we’ve received this year, we are in the works of planning two separate sessions next year that will be dedicated to your technical level.
Once SPI wrapped up, our commercial and marketing teams began island hopping to conduct full day trainings over the course of four days. We partnered with Inter-Island Solar Supply, one of the largest and and most experienced distributors of renewable energy products and packaged systems in the US.
In addition to the materials covered above at SPI, Sandra was joined by Jarmo Venalainen, Senior Training & Development Specialist, and together they presented an array of hot topics:
- single phase and three phase multi-unit clusters, AC versus DC-coupling the array, and internal wiring
- solar system batteries, lead acid battery charging, battery wiring, parallel battery strings, termination resistance, lithium ion battery management systems, and corrosion risks
- grid interactive functions, such as static power output set-point, dynamic real power production, reactive power, static reactive power set-point, dynamic reactive power production, and low voltage and fault ride through
These training sessions also offered a hub for discussion around electrical vehicles (EVs) and introduction to Schneider Electric’s EVlink™ EV charging solutions. With the introduction of Time of Use (TOU) meters and dedicated EV meters throughout Hawaii, its adjustment rate model gives EV owners an opportunity to charge their vehicles overnight at a lower rate. Did you know that Hawaii ranks number two in EV market share, after Washington?
Here are more photos from each session!
Training Session #2: Kauai, Hawaii
Training Session #3: Big Island, Hawaii
Training Session #4: Oahu, Hawaii
Training Session #5: Maui, Hawaii
To stay up to date with our training and product announcements, sign up for our monthly newsletter, Conext Insider.